Gamification is the latest buzz word sweeping enterprise with interest from all areas including the marketing department, HR department and customer service department. With questions like ‘ How can we build a customer community that helps us spread positive brand messages?’, ‘How can I get more ideas from my workforce?’, or ‘How can I get my workforce to be more efficient, but not damage customer experience?’ With these types of questions, those who understand gamification will know that game mechanics can definitely help with all of these questions – but only in the short term. Longer term, organisations need to make use of more than just game mechanics – Reputation and Social mechanics are also important:
- What are the high value behaviours you want in your enterprise?
- What are the business outcomes you want/need to achieve?
- Are your employees / customers the type that will be motivated by competition? Or are the motivated by other factors?
- What are the intrinsic rewards that you can use?
- Do we have the digital touch-points in place to measure and track these behaviours?